Marxism 2013 - new meetings announced
From the Marxism 2013 office:
With revolt and resistance breaking out across the globe we are pleased to confirm these new meetings at Marxism 2013 (11-16 July, central London):
·'The Turkish Revolt' with Ron Margulies, from the DSIP socialist organisation in Istanbul. For his eyewitness accounts from Turkey go to here
· Alfredo Saad Filho on the recent explosions in Brazil
· 'How should socialists organise?' Panel debate with Gilbert Achcar, a founding signatory to Left Unity, Paul Le Blanc and Esme Choonara
Plus ·Richard Boyd Barrett, Irish TD, People Before Profit will join Maria Stylou from Greece and Jesus Castillo from the Spanish State to discuss the 'Struggle against austerity in Europe'
New book out at Marxism 2013:
Say it loud! Marxism and the Fight against Racism
This important new book from Bookmarks will be launched at Marxism 2013 and could not be more timely. Twenty years on from the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence and yet more shocking revelations have been revealed. The disclosure that police spies attempted to smear the Lawrence family and discredit their campaign for justice raises many questions of police racism, corruption and the state. Hassan Mahamdallie covered the case for Socialist Worker at the time. He is one of the contributors to the new book and will be speaking at Marxism on 'A defining struggle: The Stephen Lawrence campaign 20 years on'. This is part of the Racism and Resistance course at Marxism 2013 which takes up the themes of the new book. These include:
- 'After Woolwich: How do we stop the BNP and EDL?' with Weyman Bennett
· 'Where does racism come from?' with Ken Olende
· 'From confrontation to compromise: Black politics in Britain today' with Brian Richardson
· 'The Politics of Islamophobia' with Talat Ahmed
Bookmarks, the socialist bookshop, will be transferring their entire shop to Marxism for the full five days of the festival. They will be located in the Institute of Education. Make sure you get your copy of Say it loud! Marxism and the Fight against Racism there and check out all their other books - old and new!